Project 4 Artist Statment

 April Olson

03/24/24

Photography 1

Artist Statement Project 4

For this “Sense of Place” photography project, I chose the location of the Capitol Theatre for this assignment during my first gallery reception there. I chose this location because it was an important place, and I hoped it wouldn’t be the only gallery reception I would have, but just the first.  I had also spent a lot of time there when I was younger, as I was involved in the youth community theater, and so it held lots of other fond memories as well. In addition to this, it has a very unique atmosphere that I wanted to be able to capture.  The images I took capture the details of the space rather than wide shots. I wanted to be able to represent the feeling and atmosphere of being there, rather than just showing the rooms. Everything in the space has an intricate design, so I wanted to be able to show the viewers those details close up. Each photo I took also required me to closer examine the space and decor than I might have previously, so that also added to the effect of this project as well as I further explored a once familiar space, it became new again to me while I was doing this. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog